One login. One search. One interface.
AEA Scout is an online portal that houses many of the digital resources provided by Iowa’s AEAs such as AEA Digital Library, Britannica School, Gale and MackinVia. Students benefit from a one-stop-shop for their research needs. Teachers can rest easy knowing their students are searching the quality, curated content they’ve come to know and trust.
What Makes AEA Scout Special?
With AEA Scout, students have the ability to dig deeper in their quest for information. A wide variety of sources of information in multiple formats will be at their fingertips when they search AEA Scout. This new way of information gathering also encourages students’ curiosity and builds a foundation for lifelong learning.
Single sign-on to one interface
- Login once to search multiple sources on one site
Quality digital content
- Curated content from recognized publishers and producers
- Videos, articles, documents, ebooks, audiobooks, photos, charts, graphs and more
- The more students search, the smarter and more customized the results become
- Suggested materials based on usage and interest
Personalized learning experience
- Create a folder for each class or assignment
- Teachers can share resources and notes with specific students
- Highlight, underline, take and share notes in one place
For all learners
- Translate text to different languages
- Most digital text is read-aloud
- Closed-captioned video
- Change text size and font
- Change the background color for higher contrast
Video Tutorials for Using AEA Scout
|Introduction to AEA Scout
An introduction to the features and capabilities of AEA Scout.
Log in using the new IdentAEA system. Contact your school’s teacher librarian or AEA consultant if you need assistance.
|Recent & Recommendations
||Searching for Resources
|Creating & Organizing Folders
||Managing Resources Within Folders
||Customizing the Display
Change screen display:
|Tools Within AEA Scout
|| Taking Notes
|| Sharing Resources
|Embedding AEA Scout into PowerSchool||Embedding AEA Scout into Canvas||Embedding AEA Scout into Schoology|
Research Guides for SIRS Researcher
- Analyzing Primary Sources (Grades 3-12)
- Research Guide for Critical Thinkers (Grades 6-12)
- Understanding Editorial Cartoons (Grades 6-12)
- Understanding Infographics (Grades 6-12)
- Understanding Primary Sources (Grades 6-12)
- Understanding Statistics (Grades 6-12)
- Writing Arguments (Grades 6-12)
Educator Vision for AEA Scout
Teachers, instructional coaches and administrators can use Scout to help align instructional strategies to the Iowa Core Standards.
What does that look like in AEA Scout?
|Supporting Science Instruction
|Explore the ways AEA Scout supports science instruction and student learning: small groups, finding and exploring phenomena, hybrid learning options, career exploration and more. Includes examples of using the playlist instructional framework to scaffold and to increase student voice and choice.||Recording (21 mins.)
|Supporting Social Studies Instruction||Explore the ways AEA Scout supports Iowa social studies standards that emphasize the inquiry-driven model. Learning is organized around compelling questions. Learn about background information, source types, student research, primary sources and how students can look at resources and build their own informed opinions. Link to slides.||Recording (22 mins.)
|Supporting English/Language Arts Instruction||Explore how AEA Scout can support English/Language Arts and literacy by providing background information, exploring themes or driving questions or searching for supporting information. Includes overviews of linking to the LMS, notetaking, critical reading tools and more.||Recording (10 mins.)
|Supporting Exceptional Learners||Provides scaffolding and enrichment ideas to support exceptional learners such as English learners, talented and gifted and struggling students and their intersectionality. Also demonstrated is how AEA Scout supports the MTSS framework.||Recording (12 mins.)